Attorney and Counselor at Law
Sam Boone is an estate planning and elder law attorney in Gainesville, FL who focuses on the impact of the law on people over fifty and on people with disabilities and their families. It is his personal touch that sets him apart. In addition to counseling his clients, Sam speaks to other attorneys, financial planners and the public throughout Florida about elder law, estate and trust administration, estate, tax, retirement planning, long-term care planning, asset protection planning, special needs planning and business succession planning. He enjoys mentoring lawyers focusing on his areas of practice.
Sam graduated from the University of Florida College of Law in 1978 and entered practice with a mid-sized law firm in Tallahassee. He was admitted to The Florida Bar on September 17, 1979. He opened his own law office in 1980.
Sam is admitted to practice before all Florida State Courts. He is also an Accredited Attorney for Veterans Benefits.
He serves on the Florida Joint Public Policy Task Force for the Elderly and Disabled and was co-chair for nine years. He is also a past-president and member of the year of the Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys. He previously served on the Board of Directors. He has been recognized every year since 2014 by Florida Super Lawyers. In addition, Sam holds an AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™.
Sam is an accredited attorney by the Department of Veterans Affairs. He is a member of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of the Florida Bar and a trustee of the John A.H. Murphree Law Library. He regularly participates in continuing education to remain current on legal and financial issues critical to his areas of practice, and professional affiliations, He is also a member of the community board of Haven, a local non-profit hospice.
On a personal note, Sam is a family man. Together, he and his wife, Suzana, have five adult children and two grandchildren.
- Florida Joint Public Policy Task Force for the Elderly and Disabled – 2010 – present; Co-chair 2012 – 2019.
- Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys 1999 – present; President 2012 – 2013; Member of the Year 2015
- Past chair or co-chair of the Elder Law Section of the Florida Bar 1995; Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award and Annual Service Award 2019, Continuing member of the Legal Education Committee; Probate Committee, Estate Planning Committee 2010 – 2013; Special Needs Trust Asset Protection Sub-committee 2009 – 2010; Advanced Public Benefits Seminar 2009; Probate and Tax Law Committee 2008 – 2009; Florida Bar Continuing Education Committee; Member of the Florida Bar Continuing Education Committee since 1995.
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, The Florida Bar 1980 – Executive Council member 1998 – 2013; Liaison with the Elder Law Section of the Florida Bar 2010 – 2013; Probate Law and Rules Committee, 2002 – 2013, Co-Vice Chairman 2005 – 2010; Circuit representative 1998 – 2013; Chairman Information Technology Committee 2000 – 2002; Durable Power of Attorney and Guardianship Alternative Committee 2001 – 2013, Chairman 2004 – 2005; Estate and Gift Tax Committee 2007 – 2013, Vice Chairman 2006; Annual Service Award, 2004.
- Member of the Probate and Guardianship Forms Editorial Board (Authors of the “FLSSI” Probate and Guardianship forms) 1988 – present.
- Estate Planning Council of North Florida 2000 – present, President 2008 – 2009, Board of Directors 2008 – 2010, 2012.
- John A. H. Murphree Law Library Board of Trustees 2004 – present.
- Bennett Inns of Court – 2011 – present, Master of the Bench; Board Member 2018 – 2019.
- Community Foundation of North Central Florida; Advisory Board 2009 – present.
- ARC Foundation; Board of Directors 2006 – 2011.
- Florida Bar, Probate Rules Committee 2002 – 2007.
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association; Board of Directors 2002 – 2005.
- Mid-Florida Area Agency on Aging; Board 2000 – 2006; Treasurer 2002 – 2006.
- Housing Board, City of Gainesville, Florida 1977 – 1979; Chairperson 1979.
- Accredited Estate Planner – National Association of Estate Planners & Councils.
- Listed in Super Lawyers of Florida 2014 – 2018 Top Rated – Elder Law, Estate Planning & Probate.
- Listed by Martindale-Hubbell – AV Preeminent – Elder Law, Estate Planning & Probate.
- Listed by AVVO – 10 rating out of 10 – Elder Law, Estate Planning & Probate.
Asset Protection in Florida, Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education, Co-Author “General Exemptions from Creditors”, First, Second and Third Editions